My cat Jasper was the subject of my first oil painting. I left it pretty rough (and unsigned!) with the intention of coming back to it.

I wanted to try 2 techniques out:


Or applying a thin layer of transparent paint to change the value and/or colour of the layer beneath it. I bought some glazing medium from Jacksons and used it with a little burnt umber. I used this in the darker values to darken them further and create more contrast.


Or applying almost dry paint on top of dry paint. I have a fan brush from a set which I’ve read is good for this, so I got a very small amount of white paint and rubbed most of it off. The tiny amount left I worked into the lighter bits of the painting. This lightened the value further but also flattened these sections a little.

I’ll definitely revisit this again soon and experiment some more.